Itching Caused By BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS (a.k.a. BV)
Bacterial vaginosis or BV is the MOST COMMON reason for vaginal itching, so no need to panic. This can happen at any time without warning. It is simply caused by an imbalance in healthy bacteria and a change in vaginal pH. It feels very similar to a yeast infection, but the discharge is watery unlike a yeast infection, and usually has an odor. Although, BV can cause some disturbing symptoms, it's not dangerous and very easy to take care of.
- Discharge will be watery with a cloudy grayish white, green or yellow color.
- A strong unusual vaginal odor, similar to a strong fish like smell. The smell may become stronger during or after sex.
- Abnormal vaginal odor.
- Abnormal amount of vaginal discharge.
- Vaginal burning and or itching.
- Cigarette smoking.
- Multiple or new sex partners.
- recent antibiotic use.
- IUD (intrauterine devices) used for birth control.
WHEN TO SEE A HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL: If symptoms last more than 7days, or clear up and then occur again within a few days.